Students may be eligible to receive aid while studying abroad. You may apply financial aid (including loans, grants, and scholarships) towards the cost of any study abroad program for the fall or spring semester, whether or not it is sponsored by NC State. Typically during the summer, the only type of aid available will be in the form of loans. Financial aid eligibility is determined using the TOTAL cost of studying abroad (including air fare and personal expenses), based on official program budgets provided by the Study Abroad Office or by the sponsoring institution (if the program is not an NC State program). Students should complete the FAFSA for the academic year in which they plan to study abroad, and to do so in a timely fashion. Additionally, summer school applications are required for students who are planning to study abroad during the summer, whether it’s on a NC State program or another sponsoring institution.
Expectations for receiving aid while studying abroad:
- Before submitting the Enrollment Agreement Form, you must receive study abroad approval from the appropriate person(s), typically your academic advisor.
- Read and understand all information on the Enrollment Agreement Form and in the Study Abroad Packet. You should also share all information with your parents if you are a dependent student.
- You must provide the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid a copy of your transcript/grade report from the visiting school as soon as grade information becomes available.
- You must notify the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid if you withdraw or reduce your course load while studying abroad. Changes to your enrollment status may require repayment of a portion or all of the funds already disbursed to you.
- The courses you complete as part of your study abroad experience must be approved for academic credit toward your degree program.
- Financial Aid funds will be disbursed approximately 10 days prior to the start of your study abroad program unless your program start date is before the start of classes at NC State. If your program starts before the start of classes at NC State your aid will disburse within 10 days of the first day of classes at NC State. Disbursements are typically released three times a week – Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Please see our FAQ listing for assistance with common questions about funding your study abroad experience.
Study Abroad Office Contact information:
Scholarships & Financial Aid Office Contact Information: