Scholarships for High School Students
The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid offers a limited number of competitive scholarships for entering freshmen in an effort to recognize and encourage exceptional academic ability and talent. To be considered, students must apply for admission by November 1.
Some academic scholarships also require that students demonstrate financial need. All students who apply for admission by November 1 and apply for financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1 will automatically be considered for need-based academic scholarships.
To learn about specific scholarship programs, please review the following:
- Park Scholarship Program - Prestigious, competitive academic scholarship program for students who demonstrate exceptional academic ability, exemplary character, and exceptional potential in leadership and service.
- General Hugh Shelton Leadership Initiative Scholarship - Competitive academic scholarship program to promote the mission of the Shelton initiative, “to inspire, educate and develop value-based leaders committed to personal integrity, professional ethics, and selfless service.”
- Chancellor’s Leadership Scholarship – Program for students with demonstrated leadership potential, academic achievement, personal talents, unique work or service experience, and financial need. Applicants should demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of diversity.
- Goodnight Scholars Program - The Goodnight Scholars Program is a unique scholarship for outstanding students in the STEM and education disciplines. It is available to middle income families from North Carolina and is valued at $17,500 per year. A comprehensive professional development program allows students to grow into tomorrow’s leaders, innovators, and entrepreneurs.
College Based Scholarships:
Each of the Colleges at NC State offers scholarship opportunities to students enrolled in their academic programs. Consult the college website for specific criteria, application materials, and important deadlines.
- Agriculture & Life Sciences
- First Year College
- Health and Exercise Studies
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Music Department
- Natural Resources
Employer Specific Scholarships:
Eligibility for some scholarships requires an employment affiliation.
- Carrier/Bryant Dependent Scholarship - The James A. Rider Scholarship is available to students with a parent employed by an authorized Carrier/Bryant dealer in North or South Carolina. Applicants who demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA are eligible to apply. The scholarship application will be available February 1 through May 1.
- City of Raleigh Dependent Scholarship - The Jimmie & Susan Beckom Educational Scholarship is for an incoming freshman that is the dependent of a permanent employee of the City of Raleigh. Eligible students must show exceptional academic achievement and demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The scholarship application will be available February 1 through May 1.
- Cross & Chalice J. Smith Capel Scholarship - Eligible dependents of members of Capel are encouraged to apply. The scholarship application will be available from February 1 to May 1.
- George and Reba Worsley Scholarship - The George and Reba Worsley Scholarship is intended to benefit full-time graduate or undergraduate students whose parent is a permanent, full-time employee in the Finance and Business division at NC State. Eligible students must demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The scholarship application will be available from February 1 to May 1.
- NC State Family Scholarship – The NC State Family Scholarship is intended to benefit full-time first-degree undergraduate, dependent students enrolled at NC State, whose parent is a permanent full-time employee of NC State University. Eligible students must demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The scholarship application will be available from February 1 to May 1.
- News & Observer Scholarship - Eligible dependents of members of the News & Observer are encouraged to apply. The scholarship application will be available from February 1 to May 1.
- Southeastern Gas Association Dependent Scholarship - Eligible dependents of members of the Southeastern Gas Association are encouraged to apply. The scholarship application will be available from February 1 to May 1.
- Student Action for Farmworkers Scholarship - Eligible dependents 1) whose parents or guardians are currently engaged in migrant farm labor or have been migrant farmworkers in the past or 2) whose parents or guardians work, or have worked, in food processing plants are encouraged to apply. The scholarship application will be available from February 1 to May 1.
- Gatling Grant - Established by alumnus John Gatling to fund educational opportunities for students who are born with the last name Gatlin or Gatling.
- Non-North Carolina state grants - Students should search their home state for information.
- NC VA Scholarship - Students receiving a NC VA Scholarship should submit a copy of the NC VA award letter to the University Cashier’s Office and submit the NC VA Scholarship Notification Form to the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid.
- Federal VA Benefits - Students receiving VA Benefits should refer to the University Cashier’s Office and Veterans Affairs for instructions.
- ROTC - Students participating in ROTC should request their ROTC campus contact to submit the award information to the University Cashier’s Office.
Seeking an Outside Scholarship?
- Review our Outside Scholarship Search Tips to aid in your scholarship search.
- NC State encourages students to search for private scholarships offered by agencies not
affiliated with the university.
- Search Fastweb‘s free scholarship search engine that includes more than 400,000
scholarships worth more than $1 billion
- NC residents are encouraged to search for scholarships at NC State Education Assistance
Authority. In addition, there are a number of community foundations serving the
residents of North Carolina. Students are encouraged to search foundation sites for
Receiving an Outside Scholarship?
- Inform the Office of Scholarship & Financial Aid as soon as you are offered a scholarship by completing the Scholarship Notification E-Form. Please visit MyPack Portal and select the Awards tab to submit scholarship information. Please read the Important Information for Student and Scholarship Donor to assist with questions you or your donor may have.
- NC State encourages students to search for private scholarships offered by agencies not affiliated with the university.