Graduate Students

Graduate students may apply for Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans and for Federal Work-Study employment. Qualified graduate students pursuing masters or doctoral degrees may also apply for fellowships, assistantships and other awards offered through individual colleges, departments, and the Graduate School. Graduate fellowships, grants, tuition benefits, tuition waivers, or health benefits must count as resources for students who apply for financial aid.  Therefore, federal loan and work eligibility may be reduced if graduate benefits are received.  Contact the Graduate School or your particular graduate department for more information about graduate aid.

Graduate students are not eligible for federal and institutional need-based grants, with the exception of the Academic Enhancement Grant.  If you apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate need, you will automatically be considered for an Academic Enhancement Grant and for Federal Direct loans. The actual amount of your Academic Enhancement Grant will vary depending upon 1) your level of financial need, 2) the timing of when you submitted your FAFSA, and 3) whether you will be enrolled full-time or part-time. This grant is intended to cover a tuition surcharge that all NC State students must pay. If you receive funding from another source that pays your tuition (such as the GSSP), you will not be eligible for this grant.

Graduate students applying for financial aid must complete the Graduate Enrollment and Benefits Status form. This form must be completed each year that a student applies for aid.