International Students

Most federal and institutional need-based aid requires U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizenship.  Students who are entering the country on student visas should contact the Office of International Services (OIS) for information concerning admissions criteria and possible financial aid sources.

Private Loans

The only assistance available to international students comes in the form of private loans or private scholarships provided by outside donors. Private loans typically require international students to have co-signers or co-borrowers who can guarantee the loan. Please visit for information on some available private loans.

Outside Scholarships

The Outside Scholarships Listing contains a wide variety of outside scholarships that you may want to consider. You should contact the donors individually to determine whether non-citizens may be eligible for those scholarships. Please visit our Scholarships page for International students for more information.

Undocumented Students

Financial Aid is not available for undocumented students or illegal aliens. Only US citizens and eligible non-citizens can qualify for federal assistance. Undocumented students are not eligible for in-state tuition, regardless of how long they have lived within the state of NC. Undocumented students may apply for the same types of private loans and outside scholarships that other international students apply for.

If a student is a US citizen but his/her parents are undocumented, the student is eligible to apply for federal financial aid. Students in that situation should contact their financial aid counselor for assistance in completing the FAFSA.

For more information and sources of aid for undocumented students, please visit the following resources: