Off-Campus Programs

Study Abroad

Students may be eligible to receive aid while studying abroad. They may apply financial aid (including loans, grants, and scholarships) towards the cost of any study abroad program for the fall or spring semester, whether or not it is sponsored by NC State. Typically during the summer, the only type of aid available to students to study abroad will be in the form of loans. Financial aid eligibility is determined using the TOTAL cost of studying abroad (including air fare and personal expenses), based on official program budgets provided by the Study Abroad Office or by the sponsoring institution (if the program is not an NC State program). Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA associated with the academic year in which they plan to study abroad, and to do so in a timely fashion. Additionally, summer school applications are required for students who are planning to study abroad during the summer whether it’s on a NC State program or another sponsoring institution.


Consortium Agreement

The Consortium agreement allows students at NC State to enroll at another institution if they meet certain criteria.  You must be in your last semester and the course you need to complete your degree requirements is not offered at NC State. In order to receive financial aid for taking courses elsewhere, you must complete a Consortium Agreement form. This form must be completed and returned to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. Additionally, you must submit an official copy of the transcript upon successful completion of the course. Students who are taking courses through inter-institutional registration at other UNC campuses do not need to complete the Consortium Agreement. If you have questions, please contact the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid.


Students enrolled in the Cooperative Education program pay a registration fee that enables them to maintain student status and participate in student activities and services that are normally associated with being enrolled at the university.  Since co-op work does not carry academic credit, cooperative education students are not eligible for financial aid while on work assignments unless enrolled in other courses for academic credit of at least six (6) hours per semester.  For more information, visit the Co-op homepage.

Distance Education

Students taking distance education course work are eligible for regular financial aid consideration as long as they are enrolled in a degree program while taking such course work.  Tuition and fees for distance education courses may differ from on-campus regular term course work charges.  This difference in costs could result in a change in your eligibility for financial aid. You should contact your financial aid adviser if you plan to enroll for Distance Education course work to see how your aid may be adjusted.