Receiving your Aid

Step 1: Check your MyPack Portal to review your award letter (typically available as early as April for March 1 priority applicants).

Continuing students, entering freshmen and transfer students are typically notified of their financial aid award packages the beginning of April. Veterinary students and Graduate students typically receive award notification in late June. Check your MyPack Portal for award information.

Step 2: Go to MyPack Portal and verify that the award information is correct with regards to enrollment, housing, residency, and academic progress.

Be sure to read the materials accompanying your award letter for conditions and responsibilities, policy on satisfactory academic progress, and the update form attached to your award. Verify that the award assumptions are correct. Changes to your enrollment status, housing plans, residency status, or other changes may result in changes to your award. If any of the assumptions are incorrect, you must submit the Update Form.

Step 3: Notify OSFA if you will receive other additional assistance via the instructions on the Update Form.

Other assistance, such as sponsorship, Vocational Rehabilitation, tuition reimbursement, housing benefits for Resident Advisors and Graduate Student Support Plan (GSSP) benefits should be reported via the instructions on the Update Form.

Step 4: Accept/Decline your awards at MyPack Portal.

You must Accept or Decline your aid offered. Log in to MyPack Portal to view and accept your awards. If you do not accept your awards, your bill from the University Cashier’s Office will not reflect your aid. Your aid will not disburse until you have accepted your aid offered.

Step 5: Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) for any loans you choose to borrow.

First time borrowers of a Federal Direct loan must complete the MPN online at If you have been offered a Federal Perkins loan or a University Loan and did not receive one during the prior year, a link to the appropriate MPN is available on MyPack Portal. You must sign and return the Perkins/University loan promissory note to the OSFA before your funds can be disbursed to you.

Step 6: Complete Entrance Loan Counseling for any loans you choose to borrow.

If this is your first time borrowing a Federal Direct Loan, you must complete Entrance Loan Counseling before your loan funds can be disbursed to you. First time borrowers of a Federal Perkins Loan should complete Entrance Loan Counseling online through the link provided to you on MyPack Portal.

Step 7: Send scholarship checks to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

All outside scholarship checks should be made payable to NC State University and mailed directly to the OSFA for proper credit toward your University charges. Do NOT mail any scholarship checks to the University Cashier’s Office or Payment Processing Center. All scholarship checks will be equally divided between the fall and spring semesters unless otherwise requested or indicated as a single semester disbursement. To ensure proper administration of your scholarship, you should communicate the Important Information for Student and Scholarship Donor to your scholarship donor.

Step 8: Review your eBILL (Fall: July / Spring: November) from the University Cashier’s Office and confirm your aid is noted.

An electronic billing statement (eBILL) will be emailed to you several weeks before the beginning of each semester. Your estimated accepted aid will be reflected on that bill and you will be instructed to pay any remaining balance due after estimated aid has been deducted from all eligible charges. Your eBILL is accessible via MyPack Portal by selecting “Student Self Service,” “Campus Finances,” “Account Summary,” and “View eBILL.”

Step 9: Aid will be applied toward your University charges typically during the first week of classes.

Financial Aid awarded or administered by the OSFA (except Federal Work Study) is disbursed by the University Cashier’s Office. Financial aid must be used first to pay any outstanding tuition and fees, room rent and meal plan charges for each semester. Most funds will be credited directly to your account in the Cashier’s Office at the beginning of each semester. If you are due a refund, the excess funds will be sent to you at the start of the semester or as soon as possible after the semester has begun.

Step 10: Avoid unnecessary refund delays and Sign Up for Direct Deposit at MyPack Portal.

If you are receiving more aid than your billed charges, you may be due a refund of excess financial aid from the Cashier’s Office. To receive your refund most quickly, you may elect to have this refund deposited directly into your checking account. To sign up, go to MyPack Portal under the Financial Info tab and complete the online registration. If you elect not to sign up for direct deposit, a refund check will be mailed to the mailing address you have on file with the University.