Eligibility for Aid

In order to be eligible to receive financial aid at NC State University, students must meet the following requirements:

  • You must enroll in a degree-seeking program or approved teacher licensure program. Non-degree students, including those in certificate programs, NDS and PBS are not eligible for assistance.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen.
  • You must be making satisfactory progress toward completion of your degree.
  • You may not be in default on any federal education loan or owe an overpayment of a federal education grant.
  • If applicable, you must be registered for the Selective Service.


Your financial aid eligibility begins with your cost of attendance. Actual costs vary for each individual student, so the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA) uses average costs, based on a survey of the amounts students report spending in each category. Each student’s costs are estimated according to factors including NC residency status and living arrangements (on-campus, off-campus or living with parents). Other factors include whether you are an undergraduate student, dependent or independent, or a graduate student, and the number of credit hours you take each semester.


When you submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Federal Processing Center calculates an expected family contribution (EFC) using a formula based on the information you provide.


The OSFA uses your estimated costs minus your EFC to determine your level of financial need. Some types of financial aid awards have a financial need component. If you do not have financial need based on this formula, you are still eligible for an unsubsidized federal student loan.


If extenuating circumstances affect your ability to pay the cost of attendance, call or email the OSFA to discuss your situation with your financial aid counselor. Some examples of extenuating circumstances affecting students or parents of dependent students are loss of a job, excessive medical bills, disability or divorce.


Be sure to check with your financial aid counselor if your status changes in any way. Federal regulations may require an adjustment to your financial aid eligibility.