Satisfactory Academic Progress

The US Department of Education requires the University to establish a Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Eligibility that describes the academic criteria a student must meet to maintain eligibility for federal, state, and institutional aid.  This policy was established by the University’s Scholarships & Student Aid Committee and is enforced by the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid.

*The Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for Fianancial Aid Eligibility has recently been revised. Please click here for more information.

Official Withdrawal/Cancellation from the University

If you withdraw during a semester in which you are receiving financial aid, you may be required to repay some or all of the financial aid you received for the term. The amount of aid you must repay will depend upon your date of withdrawal. Federal financial aid regulations specify that you “earn” your financial aid by remaining enrolled through more than 60% of the entire semester for which you receive aid. If you withdraw prior to that time, you must repay the aid you did not “earn” based upon the federal formula. Before you decide to withdraw from the University, please contact your financial aid counselor to determine the amount(s) and type(s) of aid you may have to repay. Specific information regarding the University’s refund policy may be obtained from the University Cashier’s Office.

Depending on the date of your withdrawal, you may also receive a tuition credit which may offset a portion of the aid repayment. Please visit the University Cashier’s Office website for more details.

Unofficial Withdrawal/Cancellation from the University

It is also important to note that federal regulations also govern “unofficial” withdrawals.  As stated in the regulations on federal aid:
 “If a student who began attendance and has not officially withdrawn fails to earn a passing
grade in at least one course offered over an entire period, the institution must assume, for
Title IV purposes, that the student has unofficially withdrawn, unless the institution can
document that the student completed the period.” 

Therefore, if you do not achieve a passing grade in any of your courses in a given semester or summer session, you will be considered to have unofficially withdrawn from the University during that enrollment period and may be required to repay all or a portion of the aid that you did not earn.

Census Date Enrollment

The Census date is the last date to drop or add a course with a tuition credit. The Federal Pell Grant Program and certain state grant programs require that if your award has already been determined as of the census date, your enrollment as of that date is the enrollment status that must be used to determine or re-determine your eligibility for those programs. In some cases, students are able to add coursework after the census date. However, even in these circumstances, the enrollment status as of the census date must be used for these programs.

Repeated Courses

Federal aid guidelines allow students to repeat a course that you have already passed one time ONLY. On your third enrollment in a course that you’ve successfully passed, you can no longer receive financial aid for that course.

Coursework Toward Degree

Federal guidelines will only permit students to receive financial aid for courses which apply to their degree. You may receive federal financial aid toward free electives within your degree audit, but you cannot receive aid for non-degree coursework.

Awarding of Aid

NC State is committed to being good stewards of institutional financial aid resources, and in doing so the University strives to provide assistance to all students who demonstrate financial need. The University’s priority is to first award institutional grant funding to full-time students who apply for aid by the March 1 priority deadline. Applications received after March 1 are considered for Federal and State aid, and for institutional aid as long as funds remain. Institutional aid may be reduced if a student receives outside aid after the original award has been offered. Federal work study is offered first to incoming freshmen with the highest need and those who received work study funding in the prior year. A waiting list is maintained for students who were not offered work study but wish to be considered if funds become available. Loans are offered to all eligible students. Willingness to borrow a loan does not affect consideration for grant aid. Part time students, including seniors in their last semester, receive reduced federal, state and institutional scholarship and grant funding and are eligible for federal loan support if enrolled on at least a half-time basis (a minimum of 6 hours per semester for undergraduates and a minimum of 4.5 hours per semester for graduate students).

Graduating Seniors

Many graduating seniors mistakenly believe that they are considered “full time” for financial aid consideration even if they are taking fewer than 12 credit hours. Financial aid eligibility is based in part on the tuition and fee charges that you are actually billed by the University Cashier’s Office. The adjustments to your aid will vary depending on the types and sources of the funds you receive. Contact our staff if you have questions about your eligibility.

Financial aid Disbursement

Financial Aid funds are typically disbursed on or about the first day of the semester. Your financial aid awards are credited to your account each semester and institutional semester charges are automatically deducted. If your financial aid award exceeds your institutional charges, you will receive a refund. If you are expecting a refund, you should expect those funds to be available 2-3 days after disbursement. We encourage you to avoid unnecessary delays and sign up for Direct Deposit. If you elect not to sign up for Direct Deposit, a paper check refund will be mailed to the address you have on file with the University’s Office of Registration & Records.

*Programs (including study abroad programs) that begin enrollment of dates outside of the standard academic calender will have differing disbursement dates. Please contact our office if you have questions regarding your financial aid disbursement date.

Scholarship Disbursement

Scholarships are split into two equal disbursements, half for each semester, unless your donor requests a single disbursement.

Illegal Drug Conviction

Students who have been convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs may have their eligibility for federal aid revoked. For more information, please visit Federal Student Aid website.

Loan Cancellation

If you decide to cancel a loan after funds have already been received, you should contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid within 14 days of disbursement for instructions on how to cancel that loan.  You must repay the loan within 120 days of the date the lender sends the funds to avoid being charged interest on unsubsidized loans.

Communication from the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid

Our office communicates with students primarily by sharing information online.  Students should check the NC State email account and MyPack Portal section on Financial Aid Status frequently.  New students will receive one paper award letter; any additional changes to the award will be available for viewing on MyPack Portal.  Students receive an email notification when there are changes after the original award letter.  Similarly, when our office requires additional information in order to award financial aid, we will request documentation electronically.  We will send one paper letter detailing missing information and communicate via email after that time.