How do I apply for financial aid?

Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We recommend students complete the online application at www.fafsa.gov. To request a paper application, call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). A PDF version of the FAFSA is available for download at www.fafsa.gov.

What is NC State University’s school code?

The school code is 002972.

Who’s My Parent When I Fill Out My FAFSA?


Do I have to accept my admissions offer before I can apply for financial aid?

No, you do not. You have until May 1st to make your enrollment decision. In the meantime, apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA.

How will my eligibility for financial aid be determined?

Your eligibility for financial aid is based on your financial need. Financial need is determined by subtracting your estimated family contribution (as calculated by the FAFSA) from NC State University’s cost of attendance.

What is a financial aid package?

A financial aid package is the combination of federal, state, and institutional aid (grants, scholarships, work study, and loans) a student is eligible to receive. It will also include any scholarship funding received from sources outside the University.

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes. You must reapply for aid each year by completing a FAFSA. See www.fafsa.gov.

What is NC State University’s priority filing date?

Our priority filing date is March 1st. When you submit your FAFSA by March 1st, you will be given priority consideration for institutional need-based scholarships and grant funding. Applying by this date usually assures you will receive the best aid package you are eligible to receive.

Why do I have to register with the Selective Service?

Federal law requires all male U.S. citizens and male noncitizens between the ages of 18 and 25 register with the Selective Service System. Those who do not register will be ineligible for federal student loan or grant programs as well as state grants. See www.sss.gov.

How and when will my aid be disbursed?

Financial aid is disbursed at the start of each semester. Aid will be subtracted from charges on your student account. If the value of the aid is greater than the amount of the charges, the difference will be refunded to you. For more information, see http://financialaid.ncsu.edu/billing-financial-aid/.

My financial aid is more than the charges on my student account. How do I get a refund?

The quickest way to get your refund is to set up a Direct Deposit to your bank account. You can do so online via MyPack Portal. See http://www.fis.ncsu.edu/cashier/refunds/dd.asp for instructions. Students without direct deposit will have a refund check mailed to their home/mailing address.

I was selected for “verification.” What does this mean?

This means the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid must verify or confirm the accuracy of the information submitted on your FAFSA. The OSFA will contact you to let you know what documents you need to provide. You can also check MyPack Portal for a list of required documents. You should submit all requested documents promptly to avoid delays in processing your aid application. For more details, see http://financialaid.ncsu.edu/application-process/verification.

What is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is a quick and accurate way to import federal tax return data directly from the IRS to the FAFSA. In most cases, applicants who use the IRS DRT and are selected for verification will not have to submit an IRS tax transcript to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. See http://financialaid.ncsu.edu/application-process/irs-data-retrieval-tool/

Do I have to accept all of the financial aid offered including loans? I only want the grants.

You have the option to accept or decline any part of the financial aid offered to you. You may also choose to reduce the offered loan amount —borrowing only the amount you think you will need.

How will additional scholarships impact my financial aid award?

The additional funds will be counted toward meeting your financial need. Your financial aid package will be evaluated to assure compliance with institutional policies and federal regulations. If necessary, the aid package will be revised. You will be notified via email if your aid is revised.

What is a Direct Subsidized loan?

A Direct Subsidized loan is a federal loan awarded to undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The U.S. government pays the interest on the loan while the student is in school and during the grace period.

What is a Direct Unsubsidized loan?

The Direct Unsubsidized loan is a federal loan available for both undergraduate and graduate students. It is a non-need based loan — there is no requirement to demonstrate financial need. However, students must still complete a FAFSA to be eligible for this funding. Unlike the Direct Subsidized loan, the government does not pay the interest on the loan. The student is responsible for paying the interest on the loan and has the options to either make interest payments will enrolled in school or let the interest accrue. The unpaid interest will be added to the principal amount of the loan.

When do I start repaying my student loans?

You begin repaying most federal student loans after a six month grace period from the date you complete your degree, leave college, or drop below half-time enrollment. The Federal Perkins loan has a nine month grace period. Your loan servicer will provide you with loan repayment information. It is your responsibility to stay in touch with your servicer and make payments, even if you do not receive a bill. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand.

How do I apply for a Federal Pell Grant?

When you complete a FAFSA, you are automatically considered for a Pell Grant.

Can I keep the money I earn through the Federal Work-Study Program?

Yes. You will be paid on a bi-weekly basis.