Satisfactory Academic Progress

The US Department of Education requires the University to establish a Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress that describes the academic criteria a student must meet to maintain eligibility for federal, state, and institutional aid. Students who do not meet the conditions of this policy are not eligible for continued financial aid. Financial Aid includes Pell grants, State grants, Institutional need-based grants, Federal work-study, and federal loans (including Federal Direct loans, Perkins loans and PLUS loans). Private aid offered by agencies outside the University is not subject to the conditions of this policy, but will be administered according to donor and/or lender specifications.

Undergraduate Students

The following policies apply to all undergraduate students, including those who earn incomplete grades and/or officially withdraw.

Students who were unable to meet the requirements of the above policies due to extenuating circumstances may request an exception to the policies by submitting an appeal. Appeal information is available here.

Graduate and Professional Students

Graduate or professional program students (including Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine) must meet the criteria established in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid Eligibility in order to be eligible for receipt of financial aid.  Graduate and professional students are considered to be making satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes if the following are met:

  • Successful completion of at least 2/3 of all credits attempted at the end of the academic year (summer, fall, spring). Incomplete, late or withdrawn grades are not considered successful completions.
  • Not terminated or on academic probation and eligible to continue enrollment as defined by the Academic Difficulty
  • Eligible to continue enrollment as defined by the Time Limit for Completion of Graduate Degree

Students who were unable to meet the 2/3 completion requirement or who were placed on academic probation and have extenuating circumstances that contributed to their deficient academic performance may appeal for an exception to the policy. Appeal information is available here.

Students that are terminated from their graduate degree programs are not eligible to appeal for reinstatement of financial aid eligibility until and unless they are reinstated.

Academic Support Services

NC State offers a variety of services to help prevent academic struggles from leading to academic progress issues. Please utilize these resources on campus to ensure that you meet the University’s academic standards:

Unofficial Withdrawal from the University

Students who fail to earn a passing grade for any of the courses they attempted are considered to have unofficially withdrawn from the University. Whether you withdraw officially or unofficially, you may be required to repay all or a portion of the aid received for the term you did not complete.