Scholarships for Current NC State Students
The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid offers scholarship opportunities to current students. Consideration for these awards is given to students who are academically competitive, exhibit special talents or characteristics and demonstrate financial need. To be considered for these scholarships, simply apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1.
To learn about specific scholarship programs, please review the following:
Caldwell Fellowship – The Caldwell Fellows is an intensive scholarship and leadership-development program that brings together young people who share a passion for learning, growing and serving others.
College Based Scholarships:
Each of the Colleges offers scholarship opportunities to students enrolled in their academic programs. Consult the college website for specific criteria, application materials, and important deadlines.
- Agriculture & Life Sciences
- University College
- Health and Exercise Studies
- Humanities & Social Sciences
- Music Department
- Natural Resources
Employer Specific Scholarships:
Eligibility for some scholarships requires an employment affiliation.
- Carrier/Bryant Dependent Scholarship – The James A. Rider Scholarship is a need-based scholarship for dependent children of active employees of an authorized Carrier/Bryant dealer in North Carolina or South Carolina. Applicants must show high academic achievement and demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The scholarship application will be available February1 through April 1.
- City of Raleigh Dependent Scholarship – The Jimmie & Susan Beckom Educational Scholarship is a need-based scholarship for an incoming freshman who is the dependent of a permanent employee of the City of Raleigh. Eligible students must show exceptional academic achievement and demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The scholarship application will be available February 1 through April 1.
- Cross & Chalice J. Smith Capel Scholarship – Eligible dependents of members of Capel are encouraged to apply. The scholarship application will be available from March 1 to May 1.
- George and Reba Worsley Scholarship – The George and Reba Worsley Scholarship is intended to benefit full-time graduate or undergraduate students whose parent is a permanent, full-time employee in the Finance and Business division at NC State. Eligible students must demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The scholarship application will be available from March 1 to May 1.
- NC State Employee Dependent’s Tuition Scholarship – The NC State Employee Dependent’s Scholarship may award up to $2,000 for a maximum of eight semesters (Fall and Spring). It is intended to benefit dependents of NC State faculty or staff who have been employed full time for three years or more. Students must also be qualifying dependent children (as defined under IRS code), of the University employee and enrolled as a full time, degree seeking, undergraduate in their first degree program at NC State. Students must apply annually for consideration and must provide parental employment confirmation from the employee’s department. Additional information is available here. The scholarship application will be available from February 1 to April 1.
- News & Observer Scholarship – Eligible dependents of members of the News & Observer are encouraged to apply. The scholarship application will be available from March 1 to May 1.
- Southeastern Gas Association Dependent Scholarship – Eligible dependents of members of the Southeastern Gas Association are encouraged to apply. The scholarship application will be available from March 1 to May 1.
- Student Action for Farmworkers Scholarship – Eligible dependents 1) whose parents or guardians are currently engaged in migrant farm labor or have been migrant farmworkers in the past or 2) whose parents or guardians work, or have worked, in food processing plants are encouraged to apply. The scholarship application will be available from March 1 to May 1.
- Tom Glover Memorial Scholarship – The Tom Glover Memorial Scholarship is a need-based scholarship for dependent children of employees of the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT). The scholarship application will be available from February 1 to April 1.
- Gatling Grant – The John Gatling grant was established to fund educational opportunities for students who are born with the last name Gatlin or Gatling. To be considered for this grant, students must complete the Gatling Grant interest form and upon acceptance to the University, submit a copy of their birth certificate.
- Non-North Carolina state grants – Students should search their home state for information.
- NC VA Scholarship – Students receiving a NC VA Scholarship should submit a copy of the NC VA award letter to the University Cashier’s Office and submit the NC VA Scholarship Notification Form to the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid.
- Federal VA Benefits – Students receiving VA Benefits should refer to the University Cashier’s Office and Veterans Affairs for instructions.
- ROTC – Students participating in ROTC should request their ROTC campus contact to submit the award information to the University Cashier’s Office.
Seeking an Outside Scholarship?
- Sign up for SALT and learn more about searching and applying for Scholarships.
- Review our Outside Scholarship Search Tips to aid in your scholarship search.
- NC State encourages students to search for private scholarships offered by agencies not
affiliated with the university.
- Search Fastweb’s free scholarship search engine that includes more than 400,000
scholarships worth more than $1 billion
- NC residents are encouraged to search for scholarships at NC State Education Assistance
Authority. In addition, there are a number of community foundations serving the
residents of North Carolina. Students are encouraged to search foundation sites for
Receiving an Outside Scholarship?
- Inform the Office of Scholarship & Financial Aid as soon as you are offered a scholarship by completing the Scholarship Notification E-Form. Please visit MyPack Portal and select the Awards tab to submit scholarship information. Please read the Important Information for Student and Scholarship Donor to assist with questions you or your donor may have.
- NC State encourages students to search for private scholarships offered by agencies not affiliated with the university.